Wednesday 1 October 2014

VVA and HRT

NAMS
While everyone else at knitting club was bemoaning the hot flushes and joking about Jill's piece of lego board that she carries in her bag to use as an emergency fan, I was feeling left out because my symptoms have been much less of a cause for mirth. The dreaded vulvovaginal atrophy is caused by the drop in oestrogen levels that results in a thinning of the tissues of the vagina (as shown in the fun illustration). The ph balance of the vagina is affected causing a reduction in the natural lubrication. The tissues become less stretchy and much more liable to damage and infection. It can also lead to frequent bladder infections and general dryness and discomfort. It was a nasty infection that had me calling the doctor a couple of weeks ago. I had a course of antibiotics prescribed over the phone but by the time I actually saw her the worst was over and she couldn't find anything. However she said that the skin looked very dry and she suggested I try an oestrogen cream that would help to repair any damage and restore the vaginal lining. Although she asked me if I had considered HRT she didn't actually say that the cream she prescribed was HRT; it was only because I read the leaflet in detail that I realised that it is considered a form of HRT. Because it is applied internally it just absorbs into the tissues there and does not have an impact on other menopause symptoms. I am reserving judgement at the moment as it says it can take several weeks for any improvement. As well as this drama my summer had been mostly taken up with two long periods that dragged on for weeks, so I am hoping for an uneventful autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment